- June 10, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Arthritis
Summary: Joint pain is one of the most common disorder that starts with aging. This joint’s disorder could be a case of Arthritis. Arthristis could be mormal or acute, hence it should be diagnosed and treated carefully. Read on to know about Arthritis and its treatments.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is a disorder of the joints where the patients feel stiffness in joints and also cause some painful inflammation in the area. There are basically two types of Arthritis disorders which are as follows:
- Osteoarthritis – It is the most common of the two types of disorders. Millions of people have already been affected with this disorder. It is a disorder which can be triggered at any age, but mostly people over the age of 50 get much easily affected by the disorder. It can be a cause of some kind of physical injury or it may also be due to some other joint related condition. The disorder first attacks the outer flat cartilage coating of the joint. This affects the movement of the joint by a great deal and also results in some swelling and stiffness of the joint.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis – This second type is also very common, but not as common as the Osteoarthritis type. It may trigger after the age of 40 in both males and females. But, the chances of women getting this disorder are three times more than the men. This type of disorder is related to the immune system of the body which attacks the joints of patients. This results in severe pain and swelling. The smooth lining of the joint is the first thing that is affected. If it isn’t controlled in time, then it can further penetrate into the joint and can change the shape of the joint due to severe swelling. In the worst scenario, this disorder can get so severe that it can damage the bone and the cartilage of the joint.
Symptoms of Arthritis:
The following is a list of some of the common Arthritis symptoms:
- Inflammation of the joints.
- Pain in the joints.
- Stiffness and Tenderness of the joints.
- Swelling of the joints.
- Restricted maneuvering of the joints.
- Warm or reddish skin of the affected joint.
Arthritis treatment can be of different types which actually depend upon the nature of the disorder and its severity. Usually most of the patients are given medication which can include pain killers, steroids, and some non steroid anti inflammatory medication. Each drug given may have a different brand name but the chemical formula is same. So, there may be some situations where the doctors advise you the same medicine, but from a different brand’ you just don’t need to be confused.
Depending on the nature of the disease, the doctor may go for some physical therapies as well. The physical therapies suggested by your doctor may include one or more of the following therapies:
- Hydrotherapy – It is a therapy which requires the patient to stay in a while in a hot water pool. The physical property of water is such that it makes your body lighter in the water pool which puts very less pressure on your joints and in a way heals them.
- Physiotherapy – For physiotherapy the doctor suggests a specific set of exercises as according to your physical condition, disorder and its severity.
- Occupational Therapy – It involves specialized aid equipment to support the patient.
The doctors may suggest surgery as well if his health permits and the disease demands to go for an operation. Operation is usually the last option which doctors takes.